Client machine making thousands of calls to SharePoint sites

——- Still researching this topic ——

Randomly each day, my computer was making thousands of calls to a couple SharePoint sites.  Using Fiddler, I could see that the calls were being made through WebDav.

User-Agent: Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/6.1.7601

Then I notice that the first call of the batch was always to this web service:


Googled around and found this post.  It’s related to SP2007 but it helped to find the answer.

After reading the post, I opened Word, clicked on File –>Save and Send –> Save to SharePoint.  There it was, all of the sites that my computer was reaching out to every day.  Taking things one more step deeper, I opened a document library, selected the Library tab in the ribbon, then selected Connect to Office.  From there select Manage SharePoint Sites.  Displayed was listed the libraries that I had created connections to.

All of the sites that are displayed in the Save to SharePoint section of Office are stored here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Server Links\Published\My Site\

I deleted the My Site folder, opened Word and all of the sites were cleared out.

Also cleared out the following folder:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Portal\Link Providers\

Next I need to make sure the folder doesn’t get repopulated with random sites!