Specify a Search Scope When Using search.asmx Service

This article will outline how to setup your code:  link

For my app, I needed to leverage a search scope as part of my query.  Note: when setting up the XML packet, pay close attention to your spacing and closing tags.  If not, you will run into endless error’s that have little to no relevant description.


<ResponsePacket xmlns="urn:Microsoft.Search.Response"><Response domain="QDomain"><Status>ERROR_BAD_REQUEST</Status><DebugErrorMessage>Name cannot begin with the ' ' character, hexadecimal value 0x20. Line 1, position 442.</DebugErrorMessage></Response></ResponsePacket>

Here is my code example. Keep in mind that I’ve already setup my web reference (_vti_bin/Search.asmx).

                var webServ = "http://rootSiteUrl/mysitecolleciton/_vti_bin/Search.asmx";

                QueryService qService = new QueryService();
                qService.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
                qService.Url = webServ;

                SearchQuery sQuery = new SearchQuery();
                var querySetup = sQuery.SearchString("my search value");
                var queryResults = qService.QueryEx(querySetup);

    class SearchQuery
        public string SearchString (string entityId )
            StringBuilder queryXml = new StringBuilder();
            queryXml.Append("<QueryPacket xmlns=\"urn:Microsoft.Search.Query\" Revision=\"1000\">");
            queryXml.Append("<Query domain=\"QDomain\">");
            queryXml.Append("<QueryText language='en-US' type='MSSQLFT'>");
            queryXml.Append("SELECT Title, Path, Description, Write, Rank, Size FROM Scope() WHERE \"Scope\" = 'Big - Scope' AND CONTAINS(owsOrderx0020Number,'" + entityId +"')");

            return queryXml.ToString();

Accessing search.asmx from a site collection

My goal was to setup a desktop app to query the SharePoint Search Web Service located at: http://webApp/managedPath/siteCollection/_vti_bin/search.asmx

Guide for creating the app:

In my app, I needed to query a site collection, not the root site. Also needed to pass in my test-account username, password, and domain.

Error 1:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

Error 2:

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

Error1 was the primary issue.
Error2 was related to an incorrect login.

When creating my app, I used a web reference pointing to http://webApp/managedPath/siteCollection/_vti_bin/search.asmx . After receiving Error1 countless times, I opened the App.config file. In there I found the answer…

For some great reason, Visual Studio updated the reference to point to the root web app, not the site collection.


Updated the App.config file to point to the site collection, no more Error1.


Connection I used:

//queryService.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
queryService.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("testAccountName", "thePassword", "domain");