SharePoint Search Thesaurus TSenu.xml

How do I update SharePoint 2010 or 2007 to search for more than term at a time?  What?

In my example, every time I search for Pizza, I also want to see Taco search results.  This is a two way street.  Search for Taco, I also see Pizza results.

Key word here is synonyms.  And we have two options to play with. Replacement and Expansion Sets.  Replacement = user searches for “top secret” and they see results for “HR company policy”, Replacement allows you to replace search strings with other search strings.  Expansion Sets = user searches for “Taco”, and they get results for Taco, Pizza, Fruit, Cookie…. Expansion allows you to add more words to your searched text.

This KB article goes into greater detail:

Another helpful link:

First I created a Document Library and uploaded two files, Pizza and Taco.

Search for Pizza, and the only think I see are Pizza results.

After updating the TSenu.xml file located at:

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\Applications\[SSP Admin Site GUID]\Config\tsneu.xml

to look like this:

<XML ID="Microsoft Search Thesaurus">
<thesaurus xmlns="x-schema:tsSchema.xml">

Then do a quick command update:
NET Stop oSearch
NET Start oSearch

I now see results for Pizza and Taco

No need to reboot or do an IISreset.

If you update the xml file and do the NET Stop/Start, but are not seeing expected results.  Try searching for TSenu.xml on your server to make sure you are updating the correct file.

As you can see here, there is more than one XML file on a server.

Note from the KB article:

(For example, the English (United States) version of the thesaurus is TSenu.xml.

If you working in other languages make sure you update the correct XML file.

Alerts not being sent

Create an Alert in a Library and the first email is sent letting you know you have setup the Alert.  Change or update an item in the Library and the Alerts are not being sent…

First I looked in Central Administration at Job History (_admin/TimerJobHistory.aspx) and not noticed nothing had ran in a few days.

Next, I located and ran the Immediate Alerts job.  After the job ran, I refreshed the page and noticed the Last run time: had not updated.

Well something isn’t doing it’s job!

Now, pop over to the Server Manager –> Configuration –> Services and locate the SharePoint 2010 Timer service.   If it’s not running, right-click and select start.

Cruise back over to your Job History page in Central Admin. and refresh the page.

The same solution might apply to SharePoint 2007, but I resolved this in SharePoint 2010.

more info:

For some reason Alerts were not being sent from one of our Web Applications.
After digging around the Farm, I learned that that Web App in question, was trying to send Alerts from one of the App servers in the Farm. Why? Not sure yet.

The server that the Web App was trying to send from, was not allowed to relay emails from our SMTP server… Once we added the IP to the SMTP server, the Alerts started alerting.

***** Another Update *****

One of my users reported that Alerts were not being sent to an AD Distribution List (DL).  Turned out someone had messed with the site permissions and set the DL to Limited Access.

The DL you are wanting to alert, needs Read access to the SITE and the List / Library you are creating the Alert on.  Yes, this sorta sucks if you have a ton of Lists / Libraries that inherit permissions from parent.


failed to create the configuration database

Trying to install SharePoint 2010 on Window 7 and ran into this error.
First, I was using this script to install SharePoint 2010 on my Win7 box.

(make sure you take a look at the Discussions tab.  Ran into a few issues but quickly found solutions on there.

After this, I then hit the failed to create the configuration database error when trying to run the wizard.

Onto another site….

This site outlined all the prerequisiutes needed for a SharePoint 2010 install.

Not 100% sure what I missed, but I download / installed each of these again.