Update users display name in SharePoint

The script below will allow you to change a users display name in SharePoint.

# add SharePoint snap-in if needed

 	$ntName = "domain\XXX"
	$displayName = "New Name"
 	$webApp = "http://webapp.sharepointed.com/"
	$user = Get-SPUser -web $webApp -Identity $ntName
	Get-SPWebApplication $webApp | Get-SPSite -Limit ALL | Get-SPWeb -Limit ALL | ForEach-Object {
		Set-SPUser -Identity $user -DisplayName $displayName -Web $_.URL

Change List or Library URL and Name

Recently had a scenario where I needed to move a bunch of libraries from different sites, to another farm. Every library was titled the same, so when I went to import the libraries, I ran into a small issue. Using a combo of Export-SPweb and Import-SPweb, I moved a library over, then updated the library url and name to the source site name.

if ((Get-PSSnapin “Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell” -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) -eq $null)
Add-PSSnapin “Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell”

$webURL = “http://sharepointed.com/sites/taco”

$before = “LibBefore”
$after = “LibAfter”

#Change the URL of the library
$web = Get-SPWeb $webURL

#Update the library name
$web = Get-SPWeb $webURL
$list = $web.Lists[$after]
$list.Title = $after

Couple notes.
You might be able to shorten the script to rename and update in a couple lines of code.
If you use the script to change the URL of a list, the list will moved to the root of the site. it will no longer live at site/lists.

*I have not tested this with libraries or list that workflows associated with them. It’s also safe to assume any links to documents would be broken.*

job admin apppool change FIXED

Error when trying to change the password for a Managed Account in SharePoint 2010:

Error deploying administration application pool credentials.
Another deployment may be active. An object of the type
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdminAppPoolCredentialDeploymentJobDefinition named
“job-admin-apppool-change” already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerService named “SPTimerV4”. Rename your object or delete the existing object.

In my case, I needed to change the account that the SharePoint 2010 Timer service was running as. Every time I tried to update the password, the Timer would stop and the update would fail. Once I changed the Run As of the Timer, I was able to update the password.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -EA silentlycontinue

$m = Get-SPManagedAccount -Identity "domain\YourAccount"

Set-SPManagedAccount -Identity $m  -ExistingPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString "Your PASSWORD" -AsPlainText -force) –confirm